Home » Forums » DBManager General

Tutorial (2646 previews)
Tutorial Posted in 13th, 08/2005 09:37 by richtx
Is there any information on how to use this tool from step 1?

I want to:
1) create a database table using SQLite 2.8.16 on my XP PC.
2) view the attributes of this table using DBTools.

How step by step would I do this?
What information would I fill in for the Parameters and Options fields of the DB Manager.
Why do I always get this annoying missing .dll error
Please provide detailed tutorial information such as what is a database "server", etc.
Thanks!

Richard VanDyk /
Re: Tutorial Posted in 15th, 08/2005 09:41 by support
Hi,

richtx wrote:
How step by step would I do this?
1) create a database table using SQLite 2.8.16 on my XP PC.

- Insert a new server (see notes below) for SQLite 2.8
- for existent database you need to attach to the server. Right click the databases item on the Workspace and select the appropriate option

richtx wrote:
2) view the attributes of this table using DBTools.

- select the databases=>dbname=>tables item on the workspace
- this should produce a list of the tables on the t=details views
- click on the table editor icon on the toolbar
- fill the columns data to create new columns
- click on the save button

richtx wrote:
What information would I fill in for the Parameters and Options fields of the DB Manager.

Basically you only need to fill this info for SQLite

- Server Name
- Server Version: for sqlite 2.8 or older not required, for sqlite 3 or higher fill the 3.0.0. THis should instruct DBManager to load the correct DLL.

richtx wrote:
Why do I always get this annoying missing .dll error

The DLL's for sqlite are not present int the setup. This means you have to download the sqlite.dll or sqlite3.dll from www.sqlite.org. On previous versions DBManager was compiled with static libraries which doesn't require any sqlite DLL. On the other it wouldn't be possible to update to new a sqlite version without releasing a new DBManager version. This should solve the problem.

richtx wrote:
Please provide detailed tutorial information such as what is a database "server", etc.

The manual is instaled with DBManager. Is has plenty of information about all the steps presented here. The manual is accessed from DBManager and can be searched to make things a little easier to find.

Database Server: As DBManager supports most of the most used database engines available nowadays we call database when there is a service or a server where clients should connect to. In this case almost every single database engine has its own server, with the exception of MSAccess and SQLite. On the other hand DBManager can have multiple databases connected for both cases and for SQLite and MSAccess we have reproduced the database server by collecting the information and saving it in a catalog for future use. That way you can use DBManager with SQLite and MSAccess without having to define a new server. A server in this context is an entry for connections in the Workspace Tree. (See more details on the DBManager manual).

Best Regards,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: Tutorial Posted in 18th, 08/2005 07:31 by richtx
Thank you very much.
Unfortunately even though I've been a software engineer for many years I require much more detailed directions. Bear in mind I've never had to work with databases before.

For instance when you say:

"for existent database you need to attach to the server. Right click the databases item on the Workspace and select the appropriate option"

I click on sqlile@(SQLite) I get three options Connect, Properties, Remove. When I click on the Connect option I get a .dll loading error. What are the steps to correct this. What I need is the "how" as well as "what" to do. For instance telling me to find this .dll from the SQLite website is not telling me "how" to do this. What are the steps? Where do I copy this to? Basically what I need are configuration instructions for your tool to map with SQLite.

For properties it would be nice to have knowlege of what each field is and what needs to be filled in and why? You explain this somewhat but again not in enough detail.

For SQLite they also have no instructions on SQL commands. I can create a table but cannot save it. How would I do this? I've worked a bit with SQL in the past but again this is a cryptic language that I don't use. A tutorial on how to create and SAVE a simple table would be nice. I was hoping your tool would be a convenient front end to facilitate this. If using SQL from the command line was easy there would be no need for a tool such as yours. I really hope you provide tutorials to people who want to learn how to use your tools. Automating your tool so that configuration is easy would be a big plus. Everyone complains about Microsoft but their products at least come configured. Why do people need to download .dlls for your product to work?

Thanks.

Richard VanDyk /
Re: Tutorial Posted in 18th, 08/2005 10:00 by support
Hi,

richtx wrote:
I click on sqlile@(SQLite) I get three options Connect, Properties, Remove. When I click on the Connect option I get a .dll loading error. What are the steps to correct this. What I need is the "how" as well as "what" to do. For instance telling me to find this .dll from the SQLite website is not telling me "how" to do this. What are the steps? Where do I copy this to? Basically what I need are configuration instructions for your tool to map with SQLite.

This is a very basic step actually. Going to SQlite website, I presume you know which site as you are working with sqlite databases it is just a matter of downloading the file. To simplify the process just click on the links bellow and unzip files in the DBManager's folder:

Sqlite 3.2.2: http://www.sqlite.org/sqlitedll-3_2_2.zip

SQlite 2.8.16: http://www.sqlite.org/sqlitedll-2_8_16.zip

richtx wrote:
For properties it would be nice to have knowlege of what each field is and what needs to be filled in and why? You explain this somewhat but again not in enough detail.

The DBManager Manual has enough information for this and other features. The manual is searchable which is very easy to find information for an specific topic. In this case follow the instruction on the Topic "The Server Manager". It explains the all the fields in details.

richtx wrote:
For SQLite they also have no instructions on SQL commands. I can create a table but cannot save it. How would I do this? I've worked a bit with SQL in the past but again this is a cryptic language that I don't use.

Sqlite manual can be found at http://www.sqlite.org/docs.html

richtx wrote:
A tutorial on how to create and SAVE a simple table would be nice. I was hoping your tool would be a convenient front end to facilitate this. If using SQL from the command line was easy there would be no need for a tool such as yours. I really hope you provide tutorials to people who want to learn how to use your tools. Automating your tool so that configuration is easy would be a big plus. Everyone complains about Microsoft but their products at least come configured.

I think you haven't tried the DBManager's manual yet. The manual is acessible by pressing F1 in most windows. Optionally you may just click on the Help button on the toolbar. The manual is about 80 pages explainning each feature supported by DBManager.

richtx wrote:
Why do people need to download .dlls for your product to work?

This is our mistake actually, but since most people using our applications are involved with SQL and database programming and know how to make this work. SQlite is changing a lot and to use the new features you may need to replace the client DLL eventually if you want to use new features. We will release a new DBManager version very soon and DLL's required will be installed as well.

Best Regards,

Re: Tutorial Posted in 21th, 08/2005 10:07 by richtx
The .zip files you gave me pre-supposes one has Winzip or similar tool on their machine. I do, however what is extracted is a .dll file. How do I view the contents of this .dll??????? Again your instructions are unclear. Am I to assume DBTools opens up and somehow displays text information to the user?

I use the web page you refer me too. The only information I get on how to create a new database in SQLite are:

Create A New Database
At a shell or DOS prompt, enter: "sqlite3 test.db". This will create a new database named "test.db". (You can use a different name if you like.)

Enter SQL commands at the prompt to create and populate the new database.

This does not tell me what commands to use and more importantly HOW to save a database.

Richard VanDyk /
Re: Tutorial Posted in 21th, 08/2005 11:12 by support
Hi,

richtx wrote:
The .zip files you gave me pre-supposes one has Winzip or similar tool on their machine. I do, however what is extracted is a .dll file. How do I view the contents of this .dll??????? Again your instructions are unclear. Am I to assume DBTools opens up and somehow displays text information to the user?

I think you are misunderstanding a lot of things here. If you don't have Winzip you will need any other Zip application to unpack the DLL into the correct folder. You don't need to know the content of the DLL itself as it will be used by DBManager.

richtx wrote:
I use the web page you refer me too. The only information I get on how to create a new database in SQLite are:

This website is the SQLite development site. There you will find important information about query a database and specific information about things you may or may not need. As I tiold before you will need to read the DBManager manual which has plenty of information about using DBManager. See that DBManager and SQlite are two different things. SQlite is a database engine and DBManager is an apllication to manage SQLite databases as well as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Interbase, Firebird, MSSQL Server, MSAccess, Oracle, Sybase, etc.

richtx wrote:
This does not tell me what commands to use and more importantly HOW to save a database.

Have you at least read the DBManager's manual?

RE: Tutorial Posted in 25th, 03/2015 04:45 by linmikey
You get the sense that Pele knows iphone 6 plus protective film what you are going to ask him even before you start to formulate the words. Double Sided Adhesive Perhaps it is just natural intuition, the same instinctive understanding for human behaviour—and how he can use that to his own advantage—that die cut helped make him the greatest footballer, and the most prolific goalscorer, Stand Up Pouches the sport has ever seen.

zenok5528 /

Tutorial (2646 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General