Home » Forums » Suggestions and New Features

Queries object (1282 previews)
Queries object Posted in 27th, 07/2005 05:05 by bart.degryse
All object under the Queries object are stored in the catalog. I always store them as [object].sql files too. That way I can manage things better in source control (I use Visual SourceSafe), and I can search them (I use Copernic Desktop Search). Now I have to save them one by one (right clicking on the object in the Objects view and the selecting Save as). It would be much easier if I could select multiple objects and save them (each to its own file).
Bart Degryse / Indicator NV
Re: Queries object Posted in 27th, 07/2005 10:08 by support
Hi,

Noted. We will try to implement something to help you with that.
I think it would be a better idea to implement the features you use in the Visual Source Safe, in the DBManager. If you want that please just enumerate all the features you want added and we would be glad to discusss how to implement them.

Best Regards,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: Queries object Posted in 27th, 07/2005 11:50 by bart.degryse
support wrote:
Hi,

Noted. We will try to implement something to help you with that.
I think it would be a better idea to implement the features you use in the Visual Source Safe, in the DBManager. If you want that please just enumerate all the features you want added and we would be glad to discusss how to implement them.

Best Regards,

I'm not convinced that implementing a source control system (SCS) in DBManager would be a better idea. Source controlling is a speciallity on its own. Even if DBManager would have it's own SCS, I wouldn't use it, since these queries are not the only thing I have under source control. I also have Visual Basic applications, documentation for those applications (including MSWord, MS Visio and MS Excel documents), Excel (VBA) applications, some DLL's, some Oracle databases, etc. under source control. I would still need another SCS (apart from that built into DBManager) to manage these.
I think a much better option would be to build an interface to one or more existing SCSs into DBManager. This approach is used by eg MS Visual Basic and Toad. That way I can still use my current SCS from withing DBManager.
The main features such interface would need to have are: get (gets a readonly copy of the latest checked in version of a file from the SCS), check out (gets a writable copy of the latest checked in version of a file from the SCS, and mark it as checked out in the SCS (this is done because normally only one person at a time can have a single file checked out)), check in (copy any local changes to a checked out file back to the SCS and mark it as checked in again) and undo check out (quite obvious I think).

Bart Degryse / Indicator NV
Re: Queries object Posted in 27th, 07/2005 01:19 by support
Hi,

I see the point. I though you were using the VSS only for queries. In this case you are totally right, it doesn't make any sense.
We are developing our own IDE for development. Conquest will be an application supporting many languages, including: PHP, Perl, ASP, HTML, Java/Javascript, CSS, XML, SQL Queries. At the moment we are working on the Version Control System for this IDE. Although it has its own engine we also plan to implement the client part for other softwares like CVS, which is very popular.

Thanks for the comments.

Queries object (1282 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » Suggestions and New Features