Home » Forums » DBManager General

Username Truncated... (954 previews)
Username Truncated... Posted in 21th, 02/2005 05:14 by jfrank
I've had this problem with pretty much every database administration tool that I've tried, and I'm wondering if you can offer some assistance. The problem is that the hosting company that we work with is using an older version of MySQL (3.xx) and so there is no restriction on the length of usernames. Therefore, the usernames that they give us to log onto the MySQL server exceed the maximum length of the usernames that are allowed in more recent versions of MySQL. So I try to log in with a username such as dbm.mycompanywebsite.com, and I get back an error saying that the password for user dbm.mycompanyweb@xxx.xxx.com was denied.

So the username is truncated to 16 characters, and I cannot use any SQL clients to access these databases. Any idea how to work around this? The hosting company refuses to admit that there is a problem.
Cheers,
Jordan Frank
Re: Username Truncated... Posted in 22th, 02/2005 11:57 by support
Hi,

Actually I think that the problem may be permissions to connect to the server. Most ISP's don't allow remote connections to their MySQL servers. The message you are receiving means one of two things:

1) The password is invalid
2) You don't have privilege to connect from your local host

The DBManager doesn't use any password length, which means you can actually use any password length as long as your server supports. This leads to think that the problem is the second option above. In this case you will need to contact your ISP's administrator and ask him/her to grant privilege for remote connections. This could be a problem if you don't have static IPAddress, as it will be difficult for the sysadmin to grant privilege for a range of IP's.

Hope that helps,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: Username Truncated... Posted in 23th, 02/2005 02:55 by jfrank
Unfortunately that's not the case. You see, it's the Username that is being truncated. I can see it being truncated in the error message that I receive when I try to connect, and I can also see in the MySQL Documentation on their site that the username has a 16 character limit.

This is new to version 4, since if I connect from my machine using MySQL 3.2x command-line tools it works perfectly fine. But then I try to log in with the exact same information from the MySQL 4.0.x command-line client and it does not work. I've also found that the Navicat MySQL client allows me to have a username that is longer than 16 characters, but I have no interest in purchasing their product, I much prefer yours.

I think it's possible that even if you are not explicitly limiting the length of the username to 16 characters, if you are using the MySQL libraries, then it may be truncated when you pass the username to the library. Is it possible link against both the 3.x version and the 4.x version, and use the appropriate library to connect depending on the version of the server software?

Cheers,
Jordan Frank
Re: Username Truncated... Posted in 23th, 02/2005 09:35 by support
Hi,

jfrank wrote:
This is new to version 4, since if I connect from my machine using MySQL 3.2x command-line tools it works perfectly fine. But then I try to log in with the exact same information from the MySQL 4.0.x command-line client and it does not work. I've also found that the Navicat MySQL client allows me to have a username that is longer than 16 characters, but I have no interest in purchasing their product, I much prefer yours.

I get it. I will take a look into this and see if there is some option we can set in order to use the old format.

jfrank wrote:
Is it possible link against both the 3.x version and the 4.x version, and use the appropriate library to connect depending on the version of the server software?

That would be very hard for us. We would have to install oinly the library you actually use and not to mention that it would be a pain if someone decided to use both server versions at the same time. You see, we had to change to the new mysql libraries as requested by our users. The majority is using newer version 4.1 and above and even 5.0. I think it would be easier to ask your system administrator to change the password to something you can actually use with any application. As a matter of fact you should ask them to upgrade their installations.

Let's do this: I will do some research in order to find out what we can do to help without creating a new DLL. I'll let you know soon.

Best Regards,

Re: Username Truncated... Posted in 23th, 02/2005 11:44 by jfrank
Thank you for looking into this. I've asked the hosting company a number of times to either upgrade their service or to provide usernames that are less than or equal to 16 characters in length, but they have refused on both requests. They're a pretty major hosting company, and I'm amazed that they haven't received more complaints on this matter. For some reason they insist that the 3.x series is more stable and secure, as it has had more testing, but I think that after 23 versions, the 4.0 series has proven itself. Oh well, at least the command-line tool from 3.x is still easy to find, and it seems to work.

Cheers,
Jordan Frank
Re: Username Truncated... Posted in 24th, 02/2005 06:35 by support
Hi Jordan,

After your post I took a look into this and found out some news you are not going to like it. In order to be able to connect to your server you will have to use an old mysql client library. The password 16 char limit is done in the server and no matter what the client uses the password will be set to 16 chars anyway. It would be a lot easier if it was the other way around and mysql allows to start the server with --old-password option. This should tell the server to use the old format even you are using a new version (4.1 for instance).

In this case you won't be able to connect to your server using the DBManager as we are using the new client due to a lot of requests from our users, which are using the new version.

On the other hand you can use the MySQL Webservice feature which can be installed with DBmanager. This feature gives you the possibility to manage your mysql server through a webserver script (in PHP or CGI/C both are available). It's not that good due to the speed and flexibility but it should work.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Best Regards,

Username Truncated... (954 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General