Home » Forums » DBManager General

DB compare wizard throws lots of errors.....but gets partial results (954 previews)
DB compare wizard throws lots of errors.....but gets partial results Posted in 16th, 02/2005 01:49 by jamiel
dbtools team,
I am trying to evaluate the DBManager Pro product before determining if we want to pop for the full-blown enterprise edition.
In doing so, I am running into problems using the dbcomparer wizard...

I have set up 2 databse server definitions in the DBManager Pro app called 'prod' and 'test'. Each has a datbase called 'prod' and 'test' respectively.

They both are browsable through the system (can traverse the trees for each and look at each component of the databases)

When I use the database compare wizard I configure it to compare the test/test database with prod/prod

I choose to Compare All Objects, and to Compare Child Objects

Then while the wizard is progressing, I get numerous dialog boxes proclaiming "Table does not exist in the catalog". I receive dozens of these from about the 39% complete mark through about 76%. (these datbases are fairly small....approximately 50 tables/sequences).

After the wizard completes, I receive what looks like correct results in a tree view

However, when I drill down to see some of the differences, sometimes instead of the SQL/DDL, I receive 'There was an error connecting to "test"'.

Can you help me resolve this problem? It looks like this is a great product, but the error messages (and dialogs) are driving me crazy!!

Jeff Amiel /
Re: DB compare wizard throws lots of errors.....but gets partial results Posted in 16th, 02/2005 01:52 by jamiel
My apologies for not providing more info....

DBManager (3.02) is running on WIndows XP Pro.

Database is Postgresql v7.4.5, running on FreeBSD v5.3
Jeff Amiel /
Re: DB compare wizard throws lots of errors.....but gets partial results Posted in 16th, 02/2005 03:05 by support
Hi jeff,

Are you using different namespaces? If so is DBManager recognizing the server version correctly? If not you may force server version in the Server Properties. By this problem I think there is some wrong being sent to the server to get the table information. usually this only happens when namespace couldn't be found, due to server version (PostgreSQL doesn't support this feature in all version and DBManager will check that in order to activate this option).
If none of this applys to your case, I would like to know both database structures so we can stress test them. If possible you can attach a dump of the dbs so we can recreate them from scratch.
I will also take a closer look at this problem, specially for PostgreSQL servers, as this is the first time this bug is being reported. If we find anything I'll let you know and provide the fix immediatelly. In a week or two we will release DBManager 3.0.3 with lots of fixes and improvements, and a few new features. As you have reported this problem before this release I have added it to the bug list and should be solved before actually releasing the new version.

> However, when I drill down to see some of the differences, sometimes
> instead of the SQL/DDL, I receive 'There was an error connecting to
> "test"'. (see attached db3.jpg)

That sounds you may have some kind of timeout set for the connection.
Actually, this can also affects the comparison code as lots of information are recovered from the database server. The comparison wizard creates a new connection despite of the connection made to manage the database. This is to avoid conflicts when managing your database as in this version you can have multiple views doing different jobs in different databases.

> Can you help me resolve this problem? It looks like this is a great
> product, but the error messages (and dialogs) are driving me crazy!!

If you can please send me a copy of the databases and I will run some tests
in order to find the problem and provide a fix if needed. In both cases I
will let you know about the status of the tests just for your information.

Best Regards,

Crercio O. Silva

Support / DBTools Software
DB compare wizard throws lots of errors.....but gets partial results (954 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General