Home » Forums » Suggestions and New Features

Importing Relationships (1515 previews)
Importing Relationships Posted in 15th, 07/2003 07:01 by bioboy
When importing MsAccess databases into Mysql InnoDB are table relationships preserved?
Re: Importing Relationships Posted in 15th, 07/2003 09:15 by suporte
Hi Chris,

In fact this already works in 2.1.1. In order to use this feature you need to use InnoDB tables as the default table handler in my.cnf. Since its not possible to specify the table type during the import process you may configure the my.cnf to use the InnoDB as default table type. If this is true than the relationships will be created as well. If the InnoDB is not the default table type, the relationships commands will be sent to the server too, but as mysql doesn't return any error code for this purpose (they support the syntax although the Fkey is not created). Also in 2.1.1 it is possible to import binary data into blob fields from MSAccess, a new addition only available in few commercial products. In next version (2.1.2) will be possible to do the reverse operation: move everything back to MSAccess.

Hope that helps,

Crercio O. Silva /DBTools
Re: Importing Relationships Posted in 16th, 07/2003 03:56 by bioboy
Thank you much. After a little poking and prodding I was able to get everything working. This is very cool. Your tool is a joy to use, especially compared with the flaky, costly conversion tools I spent
yesterday investigating.

Some notes follow:

I read through the mysql manual, and have the InnoDB engine up and running. The mysql manual was rather unhelpful with the table_type variable. Particularly, when I say "table_type = InnoDB", or any value
for that matter, I get this error: /usr/sbin/mysqld: ERROR: unknown variable 'table_type=dbd'

I am able to set it vi the client, using "set global table_type = innodb" and then everything works honky-dory.
Perhaps the conversion wizard asks the user for table_type, and passes the value during the import-sql-session with a "set session table_type = $USER_TABLE_TYPE ", or DBManager asks user for table_type and passes this to mysqld vi "set global table_type = $USER_TABLE_TYPE" ?

An unrelated question: Have you thought of adding table-level data import in the wizard? This is a helpful feature I noticed on a number of other (ultimately broken) conversion tools whereby the user can, for
example, import the structure of 5 tables and import the data of only 2 of these.

Again, thanks so much!
-xian
Re: Importing Relationships Posted in 17th, 07/2003 10:21 by suporte
Hi Christian,

bioboy wrote
Thank you much. After a little poking and prodding I was able to get everything working. This is very cool. Your tool is a joy to use, especially compared with the flaky, costly conversion tools I spent yesterday investigating.

You are welcome. Anything you need just let me know.

bioboy wrote
Perhaps the conversion wizard asks the user for table_type, and passes the value during the import-sql-session with a "set session table_type = $USER_TABLE_TYPE ", or DBManager asks user for table_type and passes this to mysqld vi "set global table_type = $USER_TABLE_TYPE" ?

I intend to add siome extra features to the import wizard like changing the default table type (MySQL) or the default catalog (PostgreSQL). But one of the things I want to implement the most is the possibility to define the
conversion column by column. This feature would allow any user convert any table into any table/column type needed.

bioboy wrote
An unrelated question: Have you thought of adding table-level data import in the wizard? This is a helpful feature I noticed on a number of other (ultimately broken) conversion tools whereby the user can, for example, import the structure of 5 tables and import the data of only 2 of these.

You can import table by table and if you plan to do the import process regularly you may save them all and run them from the Tools=>Import Wizards by just double clicking it.

Best Regards,

Crercio O. Silva / DBTools

Importing Relationships (1515 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » Suggestions and New Features