Home » Forums » DBManager General

MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard (2169 previews)
MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 25th, 06/2007 11:05 by PhilipLStern
I have a MS-Access 2003 DB that I want to "Attach" to a MySQL DB via DBManager.

I can name the new DB in the workspace, but when I right click the DB name, the "Attach External Database" is greyed out. It it MySQL that is keeping it from being active or something in DBManager?
Philip Stern /
Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 26th, 06/2007 09:27 by support
Hi,

You can't attach an MSAccess db into MySQL, they are imcompatible.
You can migrate in both directions using the import/export wizards.
The attach functionallity only works for engines that requires external files (MSAccess, SQlite, DBF Tables, etc). To attach an MSAccess db to DBManager create an empty MSAccess server and then use the attach menu option to open the database.
Support / DBTools Software
Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 26th, 06/2007 11:02 by PhilipLStern
Thanks.

I do not see Import or export wizzards in tools. When I click on the tool icon on the workspace toolbar, import or export wizzards do not appear.

In MS-Access, I did see about getting external data but I could not connect to the server. I will continue to fiddle with this.
Philip Stern /
Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 26th, 06/2007 01:13 by support
Hi,

Sorry, my mistake. The Import/Export wizards are only available in the Enterprise Edition. The standard edition does not have these features for migration, nor can manage MSAccess databases.

Best Regards,

Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 26th, 06/2007 02:14 by PhilipLStern
Thanks again for the reply. I had a feeling that was the issue. Not a problem for me though. I am using the product a educational tool for refeshing my sql skills and was looking for a way of importing existing DBs to be able to manipulate using sql. I'll just have to go re-type some data. At least now I know I'm not going crazy.
Philip Stern /
Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 10th, 07/2007 04:32 by rkiefer
So, if I want to export tables from MSAccess to MySQL using the Import/Export Wizards, which version of DBManager to I buy? DBManager Pro Enterprise for MySQL or DBManager Pro Enterprise for MSAccess?
Ryan Kiefer
Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 10th, 07/2007 05:12 by support
Hi Ryan,

You only need DBManager Professional Enterprise for MySQL, since the Wizards to Import/Export from/to MSAccess are already part of it. The MSaccess component only allows you to manage MSAccess databases but are not required for database migration between MSAccess and other sources/targes.

Best Regards,

Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 11th, 07/2007 03:56 by PhilipLStern
Well, I solved my own problem. This may help others. If you get MySQL, you also get MySQL Migration Toolkit. This toolkit goes step-by-step into migrating MS-Access into MySQL. Once there, you can then use DBManager to whatever you like.
Philip Stern /
Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 10th, 11/2007 04:44 by edosikpako
Hi

I am new to all of this and I have really gotten myself in a lot of pickle. I have a winXP pc and installed mysql on it with dbmanager. All of a sudden my pc now asks me to login when I boot up and there is only one user. I eventually found Asp.Net Machine was somehow created as a second user for some reason. I didn't do it.

Also I always see 2 instances of connections to mysql when I open dbmanager instead of one. And they both say loading mysql ..... offline and the other 2 lines say connected with localhost.

Most of all I cannot import access db to mysql as I can't find the import wizard. I am having to recreate each database I have in access when it already resides in the same pc.

In the midst of all of this I discovered my pc no longer can view my router configuration page but all others can even though it can go on the internet without problems.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all sorts of things and I am quite surprised my pc still works at all.

Please help!!!!!!
Tam

Tam / Student
Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 10th, 11/2007 04:58 by edosikpako
Yes but my migration toolkit does not work either. It keeps failing and asking me to make sure java runtime enviroment 5.0 update 8 is installed. I have searched for that particular version to no avail and ended up with jre 6 update 3 and other java now installed on my pc. I am getting to the point where my pc is ready to give up on all this battering.
Tam / Student
Re: MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard Posted in 12th, 11/2007 11:11 by support
Hi,

edosikpako wrote:
Also I always see 2 instances of connections to mysql when I open dbmanager instead of one. And they both say loading mysql ..... offline and the other 2 lines say connected with localhost.

You can simply delete one of the connections if both point to the same server in localhost.

edosikpako wrote:
Most of all I cannot import access db to mysql as I can't find the import wizard. I am having to recreate each database I have in access when it already resides in the same pc.

And you won't find it. The DBManager Standard Edition does not have this feature builtin. On the other hand you can use the Enterprise Edition which has many more wizards to import and export data, including the Task Builder to process automation.

edosikpako wrote:
In the midst of all of this I discovered my pc no longer can view my router configuration page but all others can even though it can go on the internet without problems.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all sorts of things and I am quite surprised my pc still works at all.

Don't know what to do here.
Believe me, Windows Vista is even worst.

Best Regards,

MS Access to MySQL via DMManager Standard (2169 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General