Home » Forums » DBManager General

Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL (1911 previews)
Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL Posted in 14th, 06/2007 03:35 by frank
Hi,

The Access import => PostgreSQL gives an error in version 3.4.4 Professional:

The "true/false" default values for MS-Access got converted into "0" or "1", and Access complains "invalid default value something...".

Sorry, but I had to buy another converter due to this error, even though I like your application in general.

Cheers,
Frank

Frank Bergmann / -
Re: Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL Posted in 14th, 06/2007 06:01 by support
Hi,

This could easily be changed in the Type Conversion Manager. There you may find all conversions that apply in data transferring between different database engines.

Best Regards,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL Posted in 14th, 06/2007 06:58 by frank
Sorry, this is ridiculous. The "Type Conversion Manager" is hidden somewhere in the depths of your application. Your posting suggest that it's an easy and obvious tasks a. to find this functionality and b. to change the settings.

Instead, you've messed up the default configuration of the conversion process that every user would expect to work from scratch as of the version number of your tool. I believe it actually worked some time ago, because I tried a few months ago...

I found the manager after you post now, but it's awfully buggy. I've changed the Access -> PG config for "Bool", but your cool manager doesn't work and has a ridiculous user interface (it took me several minutes to figure out why it didn't save my changes - because I pressed OK and not SAVE) and actually doesn't work, because I changed the MSAccess -> PG conversion of "Bool" to "Int4", but the same error happens again. And the type conversion wizard doesn't deal at all with default values.

Obviously you're not using regression tests.

So, sorry, you've got my sympathies (I was teaching on a conference in Florianopolis about software localization for the Brazilian software industry...), but you'd better become professional or you won't stay long in the business.

Also, I'm pissed about your "knowledge base" which is empty and you flaky forum.

Access2PostgreSQL is a crappy app but it just works...

Cheers,
Frank

Frank Bergmann / -
Re: Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL Posted in 14th, 06/2007 08:30 by support
Frank,

Let me ask you something: using 0 or 1 instead of true or false wouldn't be preety close? The reason DBManager uses 0 and 1 instead of MSAccess approach YES/NO, TRUE/FALSE, T/F, Y/N; is the fact that most database engines do not support this default value.

Is there something wrong with this approach?

More, is the import process failing for some reason? If yes you can send us the output of the import process so we can analyze the process more closely.

PS: I didn't mean to say it was so obvious, but it is easy to change some behaviours in the type conversion executed by this process. This requires of course, some knowledge about data types. And you are right about something: it does not affect default values.

Best Regards,

Re: Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL Posted in 14th, 06/2007 08:45 by frank
> Is there something wrong with this approach?

It fails. PostgreSQL doesn't accept it... Funny question, sorry.

We're writing software ourselves, so sorry for my blunt postings, they are meant constructively as a candit user feedback...

Frank
Frank Bergmann / -
Re: Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL Posted in 14th, 06/2007 09:15 by support
Hi Frank,

I have tested importing an MSAccess with the latest PostgreSQL version and you are right, it fails. When we tested this process with PostgreSQL it used to have a CAST for boolean and INTEGER types which seems to not be default anymore. I don't remember the PostgreSQL version we have implemented this feature for.

On the other hand I have just tried changing the typew conversion manager and it worked properly. Unfortunatelly there is a little trick which you should use, mentioned in DBManager's manual. You must select the MS DAO Access (the last engine in the list) instead of the MSAccess. The reason is that all wizards for importing and exporting data from/to MSaccess uses DAO. In DBManager 3.0 and higher we have implemented support for managing MSAccess databases in DBManager and a new engine name was inserted in Type Conversion Manager.

You can then use the Type Conversion Manager and change from MSDAO Access to PostgreSQL conversion for Boolean to INT2 datatype. This will work like a charm. The reason it worked in the past, like you mentioned) may be the fact that PostgreSQL probably treated boolean as INT with one byte, or using a CAST. This also happened with the DATETIME datatype in PostgreSQL 7 (it was available in a earlier version and removed at some point).

Note: Sorry about the confusion. We try our best to make our applications work properly but because of the number of RDBMS supported in DBManager it is a hard work to keep track of all changes. We always count on our users support to provide feedback so we can release a fix soon enough. For sometime now, we are only providing fixes to problems reported. Meanwhile we are working on a new DBManager major version 4.0 which should be easier and more intuitive. DBManager 3.x was born more than 2 years ago and a complete redesign is now required to make things more confortable to work with. If you have comments, suggestions or critics, please feel free to send them to us. You can use our email support@dbtools.com.br or insert them directly at our Suggestions and New Features forum.

Best Regards,

RE: Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL Posted in 12th, 02/2019 01:25 by mytrinh061995
Thank you for sharing such an informative post with us, it will beneficial for everyone, It is one of the best sites that I have visited. I am looking forward to read more blogs post from here. Geometry Dash

arianapham / arianapham

Error Importing data from MS-Access to PostgreSQL (1911 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General