Home » Forums » DBManager General

how to save and read db schema diagram on another machine? (1224 previews)
how to save and read db schema diagram on another machine? Posted in 21th, 09/2005 10:48 by john.mccarthy
We want to save a diagram from DBManager on one machine
and then open it on another copy of DBManager on another machine.
How can we do this?
John McCarthy /
Re: how to save and read db schema diagram on another machine? Posted in 22th, 09/2005 09:36 by support
Hi,

There are two ways to do this:

1) You can simply copy the catalog.ddb from your personal folder to the other PC. This will create a copy not only of the diagrams, but all information you have there. The problem is you have to copy the database again everytime a change is made to the diagram

2) Install the Workgroup Server. The WGServer can server the catalog among a group of users. Instead of opening the default personal catalog you can connect to the WGServer. All information is available immediatelly. In DBManager's manual there is more information on how to set this up.

Best Regards,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: how to save and read db schema diagram on another machine? Posted in 22th, 09/2005 01:10 by john.mccarthy
Many thanks for your quick reply.
We in fact tried option #1, but perhaps may not be doing it quite correctly.
Person A has a database on his machine, from which he made a diagram and sent the catalog.ddb file to person B, who put that file in his DATA folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\DBManagerPro\DATA
But when B tries to open that file, s/he gets an error message "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'(using password: YES)"
My guess is that the file somehow has the name and password for the original database on A's machine.
How can we get around this?

If it would be easier to communicate directly, you can also send me email at john.mccarthy@comcast.net and/or I can telephone if you give me a number or vice-versa.

Thanks!
John McCarthy /
Re: how to save and read db schema diagram on another machine? Posted in 22th, 09/2005 04:10 by support
Hi John,

This is indeed correct. To avoid the problem you may edit the server properties and change the user and password (also hostname/port if required) to the one you intend to use.

I believe that the Workgroup Server would be a better idea as any change in the Diagram would reflect to all users connected to the workgroup. In future version we intend to allow connecting to the local catalog and workgroups at the same time and see all servers and its objects at once in the Workspace. With that in mind you can connect to as many workgroups as you wish and share only information you want with the users in the group.

You can contact us directly at support@dbtools.com.br.

Best Regards,

Support / DBTools Software
how to save and read db schema diagram on another machine? (1224 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General