Home » Forums » Suggestions and New Features

Object/Detail Views (1217 previews)
Object/Detail Views Posted in 27th, 07/2005 04:59 by bart.degryse
I often find myself constantly switching between the object and detail view, so I was thinking it might be useful if these were combined (mayba optionally through preferences) in one view.
Bart Degryse / Indicator NV
Re: Object/Detail Views Posted in 27th, 07/2005 10:05 by support
Hi,

Actually we are implementing a different approach. In the next version there will be only one view active but you will be able to set which view you want to use for an specific object. For instance: you may set Details View for table properties, but use Objects View for table listing. It will be posible to switch back and use a different configuration.

We are making some researches on the impact that this will cause and if it will be worth implementing this way.

Best Regards,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: Object/Detail Views Posted in 27th, 07/2005 12:02 by bart.degryse
support wrote:
Hi,

Actually we are implementing a different approach. In the next version there will be only one view active but you will be able to set which view you want to use for an specific object. For instance: you may set Details View for table properties, but use Objects View for table listing. It will be posible to switch back and use a different configuration.

We are making some researches on the impact that this will cause and if it will be worth implementing this way.

Best Regards,

I think this new approach would be better than the current one. But wouldn't it be easier (in terms of usage that is - programming it might be your own little hell) to have only one view for each object which has all options from both current views. This would be merging the two current views to one new view.

Having to choose between the views (as proposed by you) is not really what I need. Suppose I have a query in the Queries object. When I want to see the text I can click on its name in the Details View (very good feature btw) and then I can edit or execute it. But if I want to save it or export it or see its properties, than I first have to change to the Object View. After that, when I return to the Details View, the dropped down text has collapsed again. Not so bad if it was only one, but not very funny when I had dropped down 13 queries from a total of 200. The solution you propose doesn't seem to solve this problem. Merging both views features into one view does.
Re: Object/Detail Views Posted in 27th, 07/2005 01:25 by support
Hi,

Interesting point. Maybe we can do even better, something I've been thinking about it. In the current version when you select a table it shows its important information and also a menu (links actually) to perform operations on it. I think we can implement very easily the same thing for all objects. For instance, when clicking on a query it shows another page of information and a menu with all possibilities available for that item. This can be implemented for almost anything.
What do you think?

Re: Object/Detail Views Posted in 28th, 07/2005 03:27 by bart.degryse
The concept you use with tables is indeed better than the one with the two views. Still I like working with the context menu (right click) more, since most of the time it's faster (less mouse clicks). For hobbyists this might not matter, but for professional users (who like me work 9 hours a day intesively with a database) it does. The faster I can get things done, the better for me. But maybe both techniques can be combined. If one left clicks on an object you get the information/links screen like implemented for tables, when right clicking you get the context menu with these same links.
RE: Object/Detail Views Posted in 11th, 02/2015 05:42 by erickbljac78
Probably you can accomplish more desirable, one thing I have been previously considering it.70-413 In today's variation if you pick a stand the item displays the info and a noticeably food selection (links actually) to accomplish surgical procedures about it. I think you can put into practice without difficulty the same thing for all those physical objects. As an example, when hitting the dilemma the item displays an additional web site regarding data plus a food selection with all options designed for in which product. This is often carried out for almost anything.

ClarencePJ / Xbox360

Object/Detail Views (1217 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » Suggestions and New Features