Home » Forums » DBManager General

Editing Check Constraints (947 previews)
Editing Check Constraints Posted in 07th, 02/2005 05:02 by wfreeman
I am using the Firebird SuperServer v1.5.2 and presently I am evaluating the Free Edition 3.0.1 of the DBManager. I have added check constraints to a table and this seems to work fine. But I don't seem to be able to edit the check constraint name or its criteria or even view the entire constraint text. The Constraint Name text box and the text box for the constraint criteria are greyed-out. Are these features active in the full version or is it not possible to edit the Check Constraint after it is created?

Thanks, Will.
Will Freeman /
Re: Editing Check Constraints Posted in 07th, 02/2005 06:06 by support
Hi,

Actually Firebird/Interbase don't support changing CHECK CONSTRAINTS. We intend to implement an automatic way to drop and recreate the Check Constraint, but we have a problem to detect to which column the CHECK Constraint belongs to, after it is created.

Best Regards,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: Editing Check Constraints Posted in 07th, 02/2005 09:40 by wfreeman
Hi,
Please correct me if I cam wrong, but it looks that all the Check Constraints are applied at the table level anyhow in Firebird. The greyed-out text boxes I am referring to at in the Table properties dialog box and so which column each constraint applied to really wouldn't be an issue.
Maybe I should submit this as a feature request, but if there are no other problems, simply enabling the existing text boxes for Check Constraints in the Table properties would make it much more convenient to edit existing constraints rather than having to delete and re-recreate them.
Thanks for the fast response.

Cheers, Will.
Will Freeman /
Re: Editing Check Constraints Posted in 08th, 02/2005 10:53 by support
Hi Will,

I got it. I have just inserted this as a new Feature Request and as soon as possible we will implement it.
The reason the edit boxes are disable is because no engine supports updating an existent Check Constraint. Usually dropping and recreating it is the way to go. I'm not sure but I think you can copy and paste the constraint code even if it is disabled.

Thanks for the feedback,

Support / DBTools Software
Editing Check Constraints (947 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General