Home » Forums » DBManager General

syntax error updating in datasheet (849 previews)
syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 08th, 11/2004 05:31 by kctcs.webmaster
I've searched everywhere for this with no luck.

I'm having a problem with a MySQL 4.1.2 server and DBManager 2.3 (same problem with 2.2, btw). Whenever I try to make any change in the datasheet, on any table, I get this error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL version for the right syntax to use near " at line 1

Does anybody know how I can correct this?

I'm running WinXP locally, and MySQL 4.1.1. When I try to edit in the datasheet on the local DB, it DOES work. It's only the DB on our remote Linux box where I get the error.

Thanks.
Philip
Re: syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 08th, 11/2004 06:43 by support
Hi,

Actually MySQL 4.1 is not yet supported. We are finishing the DBManager 3.0 which will support all MySQl new features.
Which MySQL version are you using locally?

Best regards,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 08th, 11/2004 07:14 by kctcs.webmaster
Locally, I'm using 4.1.1 for Windows. Remotely, it's 4.1.2 for Linux.
Philip
Re: syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 18th, 11/2004 03:34 by jhaskell
I have the same problem when trying to edit data. Using MySql version 4.1.7 Windows binary which I believe is the most current.
Any editing to table data produces an error that says the syntax is incorrect. Is there something I am doing wrong?

By the way, this is a great piece of software and I plan on buying the enterprise edition when available, however, there will have to be several fixes as described above.
Jack Haskell
Re: syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 18th, 11/2004 09:05 by support
Hi,

Thanks for the feedbacks. We are taking a look at it right now. As soon as we fix the problem we will release a new version (Bug Fix only).

Thanks again.

Re: syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 18th, 11/2004 10:25 by jhaskell
Thanks for the quick response.

I'ld like this feature to be able to quickly add some data to a new field consisting of several records instead of producing several INSERT statements. A big timesaver.
Jack Haskell
Re: syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 19th, 11/2004 03:02 by support
Hi,

Could you send me a copy of the table structure for tests? I have just installed MySQL 4.1.7 and converted our database to this version. No errors found.
PS: I'm using DBManager 3.0 only.

jhaskell wrote:
I'ld like this feature to be able to quickly add some data to a new field consisting of several records instead of producing several INSERT statements. A big timesaver.
Jack Haskell

I didn't get the point on this matter. Could you give me more details.

Thanks,

Re: syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 19th, 11/2004 04:27 by support
Hi,

I found something interesting about MySQL 4.1.1 and newer. MySQL 4.1 uses collation and character set to deal with different character sets. In this version and newer some statements may not work ans they did in previous versions (according to MySQL manual).
I did the following test:
UPDATE TABLE mytable SET mycol=NULL WHERE mykey='12345'

It worked on previous versions but in mysql 4.1 and newer that is dependent on the character set and collation. After I executed the command "SET collation_connection='ascii_general_ci'" the statement started working as it should.
On the other hand I couldn't find a way to make this change persistent. Even though MySQL manual states you can use default-character-set and default-collation at server startup I could make this work correctly by editing my.ini configuration file.

PS: The same happens with MySQL 5.0.

I believe that configuring the server my.ini config file correctly should avoid future problems like that.

PS2: This error message may popup for any INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, SELECT and many others.

I will check this a little more to find out how to solve the problem once and for all.

Re: syntax error updating in datasheet Posted in 19th, 11/2004 04:38 by jhaskell
Thanks for looking into this

One of my table structures is:

Table name is locations
City as Primary key, varchar(20), not null
RouteId,int(10)unsigned,not null
RouteCode,char(1),null
WebCode,varchar(10),null

I had added the WebCode field at a later time okay but when I open table data and try to insert some data I get an error "syntax not supported..." same error as the original posting.

I have even exported the table to a deliminated text file, made the entries to the text file (the new field, WebCode) and then tried to import the information back into the table. It would not import either. No error, but the added data would not import to the table.

Jack Haskell
syntax error updating in datasheet (849 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General