Home » Forums » DBManager General

MySQL Server (1013 previews)
MySQL Server Posted in 27th, 10/2004 03:38 by pscott829
I went into the the Server Manager to add this server, but it keeps giving me an error:

"Error Database Server.
Server Message: Can't connect to MySQL Server on 'localhost' (10061)"

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.
Peggy Scott
Re: MySQL Server Posted in 28th, 10/2004 09:33 by support
Hi,

Do you have MySQL installed and running on the same PC?
If not where your database server is located?

Thanks,

Support / DBTools Software
Re: MySQL Server Posted in 28th, 10/2004 10:56 by pscott829
support wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Peggy Scott
Self Employed
Re: MySQL Server Posted in 30th, 10/2004 09:17 by pscott829
Do I look for the server other than in the Server Manager inside DBManager? There is a Web Service folder in the DBManager files. Is that where I can find the SQL and PostgreSQL servers? Do I have to have an ISP to host these servers? Also, under Server Manager, there is a selection for MySQL, but again I don't think I can use it because I don't have an ISP to host it. The same thing with the PostgreSQL. Please let me know if I have the correct understanding of how this works.

The servers inside DBManager that load for me are: SQLite and xBase and I think it's because they technically are not real servers. When I ask it to load, the light turns "green" and it's says inside the output box that it is connected. I didn't do anything to set up these two servers and they seem to work fine.

The PostgreSQL and the MySQL are the ones that do not load for me. The error message says something like "cannot localhost" . . .

Please advise.

pscott829 wrote:
support wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Peggy Scott
Self Employed

Peggy Scott
Consultant
Re: MySQL Server Posted in 31th, 10/2004 12:16 by support
Hi,

pscott829 wrote:
Do I look for the server other than in the Server Manager inside DBManager? There is a Web Service folder in the DBManager files. Is that where I can find the SQL and PostgreSQL servers?

The MySQL and PostgreSQL must be installed and started in some PC, even if it is the same PC where DBManager is installed. The DBManager only install a client app which is then used to connect to your servers. The webservice folder has some scripts which you can upload to your database server when hosted on ISP's. This is useful for managing remote servers, specially when the ISP doesn't allow remote connections.

pscott829 wrote:
Do I have to have an ISP to host these servers? Also, under Server Manager, there is a selection for MySQL, but again I don't think I can use it because I don't have an ISP to host it. The same thing with the PostgreSQL. Please let me know if I have the correct understanding of how this works.

You can use MySQL and PostgreSQL under Server Manager. As a matter of fact you need to have MySQL or PostgreSQL previously installed on your network. The ISP is not required at all if your database server is local. See that, you must install, configure and start MySQL or PostgreSQL to use DBManager.

pscott829 wrote:
The servers inside DBManager that load for me are: SQLite and xBase and I think it's because they technically are not real servers. When I ask it to load, the light turns "green" and it's says inside the output box that it is connected. I didn't do anything to set up these two servers and they seem to work fine.

SQlite and Xbase are not servers. As a matter of fact the DBManager uses this approach only to getter as much info as possible from the database you wish to manage.

pscott829 wrote:
The PostgreSQL and the MySQL are the ones that do not load for me. The error message says something like "cannot localhost" . . .

This means there is no database server running on your local PC. In this case you need to find where the database server is installed and running. If it is not the same PC you need to fill the host info in the Server Manager. If it is the same PC you will need to find out why it is started.

Hope that helps,

Re: MySQL Server Posted in 31th, 10/2004 01:45 by pscott829
Q1: Where do I go to find out where the servers are on my pc in order to configure (i.e., adding the scripts provided in the Web Service folder, etc.)? If I need to install them, what site can I download from?

Q2: Does MySQL and PostgreSQL use pure SQL coding which is what I'm currently learning?

support wrote:
Hi,

pscott829 wrote:
Do I look for the server other than in the Server Manager inside DBManager? There is a Web Service folder in the DBManager files. Is that where I can find the SQL and PostgreSQL servers?

The MySQL and PostgreSQL must be installed and started in some PC, even if it is the same PC where DBManager is installed. The DBManager only install a client app which is then used to connect to your servers. The webservice folder has some scripts which you can upload to your database server when hosted on ISP's. This is useful for managing remote servers, specially when the ISP doesn't allow remote connections.

pscott829 wrote:
Do I have to have an ISP to host these servers? Also, under Server Manager, there is a selection for MySQL, but again I don't think I can use it because I don't have an ISP to host it. The same thing with the PostgreSQL. Please let me know if I have the correct understanding of how this works.

You can use MySQL and PostgreSQL under Server Manager. As a matter of fact you need to have MySQL or PostgreSQL previously installed on your network. The ISP is not required at all if your database server is local. See that, you must install, configure and start MySQL or PostgreSQL to use DBManager.

pscott829 wrote:

SQlite and Xbase are not servers. As a matter of fact the DBManager uses this approach only to getter as much info as possible from the database you wish to manage.

pscott829 wrote:

This means there is no database server running on your local PC. In this case you need to find where the database server is installed and running. If it is not the same PC you need to fill the host info in the Server Manager. If it is the same PC you will need to find out why it is started.

Hope that helps,

Peggy Scott
Consultant
Re: MySQL Server Posted in 01th, 11/2004 09:25 by support
Hi,

pscott829 wrote:
Q1: Where do I go to find out where the servers are on my pc in order to configure (i.e., adding the scripts provided in the Web Service folder, etc.)? If I need to install them, what site can I download from?

This is something you should know before installing any client. I think you are not familiar with a lof of things you should before even starting using these databases. Here's a list of things you may consider looking:

http://www.mysql.com
http://www.postgresql.com
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/

pscott829 wrote:
Q2: Does MySQL and PostgreSQL use pure SQL coding which is what I'm currently learning?

There is no such thing as Pure SQL Code. Each database engine supports its own SQL language, although very similar. If you want to learn the default SQL you should considerlooking for SQL Ansi specifications. Very hard to follow though, as I don't know any engine which supports the entire SQL Ansi and only that.

Re: MySQL Server Posted in 01th, 11/2004 01:14 by pscott829
Thank you for your assistance.

support wrote:
Hi,

pscott829 wrote:

This is something you should know before installing any client. I think you are not familiar with a lof of things you should before even starting using these databases. Here's a list of things you may consider looking:

http://www.mysql.com
http://www.postgresql.com
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/

pscott829 wrote:

There is no such thing as Pure SQL Code. Each database engine supports its own SQL language, although very similar. If you want to learn the default SQL you should considerlooking for SQL Ansi specifications. Very hard to follow though, as I don't know any engine which supports the entire SQL Ansi and only that.

Peggy Scott
Consultant
MySQL Server (1013 previews)
Legends

Topic has Replies
Topic With no Replies

Home » Forums » DBManager General